Project Description

How can I apply for Ontario driving license?

If you are a resident of Ontario, you need an Ontario driver’s licence in order to drive. The process to get a driver’s licence depends on if you are a new driver, or if you have had a driver’s licence before.
If you have an International Driver’s Permit (IDP), you can use this when you first arrive in Canada. The IDP is a translation of your driver’s licence from another country and is valid for 1 year.
You must apply for an IDP outside of Canada. IDPs issued in Canada are not valid in Canada.
The IDP is primarily used by visitors to Ontario. If you plan on living in Ontario you need to get an Ontario driver’s licence within 60 days of moving to Ontario.

Types of Ontario Driving Licences

Ontario has 2 main different licences depending on which kind of vehicle you want to drive.

  • G class (includes G1 and G2) – For cars, vans and small trucks
  • M class (includes M1 and M2) – For motorcycles, motor scooters and mopeds

To Get a Driver’s Licence

To get a driver’s licence in Ontario, you must be 16 years old or older. You must pass a vision test to show that you can see well enough to drive safely.

You have to go to a Driver Examination Centre to apply for a licence and you need to bring:

  • Proof of name
  • Proof of your age / date of birth
  • A document with your signature

You have to pay a fee to apply. See more information about how to apply for a driver’s licence.

Find more information about how to get a driver’s licence in these cases:

  • If you have a driver’s licence from another country you may be able to exchange it for an Ontario driver’s licence. The type of licence you can get depends on how much driving experience you have and if the country has a reciprocal agreement with Ontario. In some cases, you may have to go through the graduated licensing system.
  • Some countries, like the United States, Australia, France and Korea, have a licence exchange agreement with Ontario which allows licensed drivers to obtain an Ontario licence without having to go through the regular process for obtaining a licence in this province. Read about the Licence Exchange program on the DriveTest website

If your licence is from a country that is not in the list above, you must present official, written confirmation of your driving experience. Written confirmation is an original letter from the original licensing agency (such as the ministry of transportation in your country or state).

The letter must be:

    • Written on official letterhead
    • Written in one of official languages English or French – If it is written in another language, you must submit a letter of translation from a qualified translator.
    • Dated – It cannot be more than 6 months old.

This letter must include information about:

  • The date first licensed
  • Licence expiry date
  • Class of licence
  • That the licence was valid for the relevant period of time for the purposes of exchange and experience

If you are a new driver or have less than 12 months of driving experience, you must take a knowledge test first (Level 1 of graduated licensing) G1 holders may drive Class G vehicles when accompanied by a fully licensed driver with at least four years of driving experience. You have to get 12 months of driving experience before you can take the G1 road test.

If you have 12-24 months of driving experience, you can take the G1 road test immediately after your knowledge test. If you pass this test, you get a G2 licence.

To prove your driving experience, you must get written confirmation of your foreign driving experience.

If the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) recognizes your driving experience, you can use this time towards the 12-month waiting period for the G2 road test.

If you have 24 months of driving experience, you can take the G1 or G2 road test immediately. If you pass, you will get the next licence in the graduated licensing system. For example, if you pass the G1 test, you will get a G2 licence. If you pass the G2 test, you will get a G licence. The G licence is a full driver’s licence.

You must get written confirmation of your foreign driving experience.

For more information about Drivers licences for cars, vans, small trucks you may visit DriveTest website

For other types of licences for motorcycle and commercial vehicles please visit

Visiting and Driving for Less than 90 Days

If you are a visitor (tourist) in Ontario and wish to drive, you can do so for up to 90 days with a valid driver’s licence from your own country, state or province.
You will also need:

  • To be at least 16 years old
  • Proper insurance coverage for the vehicle you will drive
  • The original (or exact) copy of the vehicle ownership permit to carry with you while driving

Visiting and Driving for More than 90 Days

If you wish to drive for more than 90 days while visiting, you will require an IDP from your own country.
If you are a temporary resident, such as a foreign student or foreign worker, you might be considered a resident and need to get an Ontario driver’s licence.